Licensing FAQ (Home Users)KB Solution ID: KB2393|Last Revised: July 29, 2015
- You have a question about your ESET license
Click a question to jump to the answer:
- How do I purchase a license for my ESET product?
- How many licenses do I need to purchase?
- What is a 3-computer pack?
- I purchased a 3-computer pack—how many licenses do I have left?
- Where is my Username and Password?
- I want to use ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus—do I need to purchase a license for both?
- Someone else set up my ESET product—how do I transfer the license to my name?
- My email address has changed—what do I do?
- I bought a new computer / re-formatted my computer—do I need to purchase another license?
- How do I renew my license?
- I use a dual-boot computer with two separate operating systems—how many licenses do I need?
- I use dual-boot software (for example, Mac Boot Camp)—do I need separate licenses for my Mac and Windows operating systems?
- I have multiple operating systems running simultaneously using a program such as VMWare, Citrix or Parallels—how many licenses do I need?
- I just renewed but my old expiration date is still displayed in the program—why?
- I downloaded the 32-bit version, but my computer requires the 64-bit version—can I re-download my product?
- I installed the wrong product or version—what should I do?
- How do I add, subtract or combine my previous license(s) before renewing?
- Can I extend my license before the expiration date?
- What is ESET Multi-Device Security? ESET Multi-Device Security–Home Office Edition?
- How do I purchase a license for my ESET security product?
- How many licenses do I need to purchase?
- A single license will protect one operating system.
- If you purchase ESET Mobile Security for Android using your Google Play or Amazon.com account, you can install ESET Mobile Security on up to 5 separate devices.
- If multiple people in your household use a computer with a single operating system (e.g. Windows 7), you will need a "1 PC" license.
- If you require protection for more than one computer, you will need to purchase an additional license for each desktop computer, laptop or netbook.
- For dual-boot systems, please see question 11.
A 3-computer pack includes 1 year of antivirus protection for up to 3 separate computers.
When installing and activating on your second and third machines, follow the steps below:
- On the second computer, insert your CD into the second machine or select your product from the Download page to begin your second installation.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install your product.
- When you reach the Product Activation window, be sure to select Activate using Username and Password and complete the installation using your ESET-issued username and password.
- Repeat steps a-c for your third installation.
Our update servers will only notify you when you attempt to update more licenses than you have been allotted (you will get an error while updating).
After purchasing your ESET product, you should have received an email message containing your Username and Password.
- If you purchase a license for ESET Smart Security, you may use that license to download/install ESET NOD32 Antivirus.
- Purchasing a license for ESET NOD32 Antivirus does not allow you to download/install ESET Smart Security.
- ESET Smart Security and ESET NOD32 Antivirus should never be installed on the same system.
To transfer account information to another name, the person who originally registered the account needs to call or email ESET Customer Care with the following information:
- Name, email address or street address of the original account holder
- The new name, address or email account that the license is to be updated with
You will need to update ESET Customer Care with the new email address.
No, your license allows you to download our software as many times as necessary. To reinstall your software, follow the steps in the following Knowledgebase article:
You only need one (1) license, as you cannot use both operating systems simultaneously.
North American customers: Yes, you will need to purchase ESET Cyber Security/ESET Cyber Security Pro and an ESET product for Windows.
Customers outside North America: No, you do not need to purchase ESET Cybersecurity/ESET Cyber Security Pro and an ESET product for Windows. You can extend the protection of your ESET product to a parallel operating system on the same computer.
To purchase additional licenses, click here to visit the purchase page
In situations where the operating systems are running simultaneously, one license per virtual machine is required.
In some cases, users may experience a brief delay before the expiration date is updated and program updates are downloaded. Your virus protection will remain active and your computer will be secure during this time. If you renew before your expiration date, your new expiration date will not take effect until your original expiration date passes.
Yes, you can download our software as many times as necessary.
Uninstall the incorrect product or version and then reinstall the correct product or version. For step-by-step instructions, please see the following Knowledgebase articles:
- How do I uninstall or reinstall ESET Smart Security/ESET NOD32 Antivirus?
- How do I uninstall or reinstall ESET Cyber Security or ESET Cyber Security Pro?
Our Sales Support team will be happy to assist you. License modifications are allowed within 30 days of your initial purchase or within 90 days of your renewal date. Please use our contact page for further assistance.
ESET does not currently offer a license extension program. You may renew up to 90 days before your license expires, and 60 days after your license expires. If you do decide to renew before your expiration date, your new expiration will not take effect until your original expiration date passes.
ESET Multi-Device Security and ESET Multi-Device Security–Home Office Edition are licenses that allow you to install a combination of ESET products on all your various devices. If you purchased ESET Multi-Device Security, or ESET Multi-Device Security–Home Office Edition, please see the ESET Multi-Device Security FAQ for detailed information about these products.